Saturday, June 27, 2009

Weekly Geek 2009-24: Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Though I'm really not very good at it, I love trivia. Put books and trivia together and you've got a perfect match. So I thought it would be a fun Weekly Geek activity for us to come up with some book trivia questions to ask each other.

So take a moment, don't stress about it all, and write down five to ten questions that pop into your mind. You could center all your questions around a particular theme or genre, maybe something in which you specialize. Or ask questions about one certain book. Or teach us about your favorite author through your questions.


You could do really easy ones that you know we'll all get or really hard ones that will challenge even the best of us.
Once you post your questions and add your link here, be sure to go around and answer the questions posted by everyone else. Remember, no fair Googling! At the end of the week, don't forget to do another post with the answers to your questions.

Okay, so let's play a little game of "Whose Line Is It Anyway". I'm going to give you a quote, and your job is to give me the name of the character who uttered it as well as the book that it came from. They are all classics (naturally), but they come from children's books as well as from adult books. Here they are:

  1. "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."
  2. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
  3. "And you must always remember there's one good thing about being trapped down here: it'll save on funeral expenses."
  4. 'Terrible place--dangerous work--other day--five children--mother--tall lady, eating sandwiches--forgot the arch--crash--knock--children look round--mother's head off--sandwich in her hand--no mouth to put it in--head of a family off--shocking, shocking!"
  5. "Oh, yes, yes, in there...I'd have said anything in there. You're so eloquent, dear Badger, and so moving, and so convincing, and put all your points so frightfully well-you can do what you like with me in there, and you know it. But I've been searching my mind since, and going over things in it, and I find that I'm not a bit sorry or repentant really, so it's no earthly good saying I am; now, is it?"
  6. "I can't get over my disappointment in not being a boy; and it's worse than ever now, for I'm dying to go and fight with Papa, and I can only stay home and knit, like a poky old woman!"
  7. "Young people...if your studying science and the elements has ever led you to feel that things just happen, kind of evolve by chance, as it were, this sight will be good for you. Maybe earth and air accumulate, but it takes the wisdom of the Almighty God to devise the wing of a moth."
  8. "There-there, in the very middle,and I will punish him and escape from everyone and from myself."
  9. "Good night, Mister Sherlock Holmes."
  10. "Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!-I have as much soul as you-and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is for me to leave you."
So here is how it works: leave me a comment with your answers; these comments will be moderated, but I will update the post showing you how many you got correct. Complete answers will be posted on Friday. Good luck!

Maree: 3 correct out of 3 attempts
Suey: 4 correct out of 4 attempts
Jodie: 4 correct out of 6 attempts
Rikki: 3 correct out of 3 attempts
Lahni: 2 correct out of 2 attempts
Jason Gignac: 4 correct out of 5 attempts

No comments: