Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Books vs. Facebook

A recent survey in Britain is gaining a lot of attention worldwide. The National Literacy Trust surveyed approximately 18,000 school children and had some findings that are both eye-opening and alarming. According to the survey, one in eight children had never been into a bookstore, one in five had never been given a book as a present, and one in six admitted to "rarely" reading outside of school.

The survey also discovered that the majority of "reading"done by today's children involves Facebook, emails, and text messages.

"Trust director Jonathan Douglas said he was worried the youngsters who did not for pleasure would 'grow up to be the one in six adults who struggle with literacy'.

He added: 'Getting these children reading and helping them to love reading is the way to turn their lives around and give them new opportunities and aspirations.'"

Personally, I can't imagine being someone who doesn't read. Reading has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. But I'm curious as to how you "raise a reader". What kinds of things have you done to encourage your kids to read? Did it work? Were you raised to be a reader or was it something you discovered late in life? As we enter a faster paced and highly digitized world, the struggle to keep (real) reading alive is more important than ever. If the post-internet generation is to ever discover the amazing stories of the past, they will need all of the support and encouragement we can give.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad statistics, but not surprising. I suspect it would be the same results here in the 'States.
Reading aloud to kids is HUGE in my book. Absolutely essential in raising readers.

Anne Mateer said...

I loved reading the moment I figured out that letters made words. I devoured books. And when I became a mom, I tried to raise readers. Really, I did. Not only did I read to them, they saw me reading. Alot. But now at 20, 18, and 16, none of them are readers. (Which is even more frustrating when you know that my husband is an avid reader as well!) Yet I know there is hope. My younger sisters and brother were not readers growing up but all are readers now.