Monday, April 13, 2009

Catching Up

With Easter over, spring is now officially in full swing. I don't know about you, but it is shaping up to be a pretty wild and crazy spring and summer in my neck of the woods. I've got a little hodgepodge of things that I've wanted to mention in my posting, but either didn't have time to or didn't feel that they warranted their own separate post. Here they are in no particular order.

*Things are really starting to come together on Masterpiece's Little Dorrit. My sisters and I are loving it, though we've been a little confused at times. I don't think that it is going to be quite as good as Bleak House, but so far it has been a wonderful and very enjoyable production. We are on episode 3 of 5, so if you have missed any of them, you can catch up here.

*I'm currently reading I, Claudius by Robert Graves and loving every second of it. The political wranglings, the affairs, the murders, the suicides, evil old Livia...never a dull moment in imperial Rome. I have reshuffled my "To Read" list to make room for the sequel, Claudius the God, 'cause there is no way I'm leaving this story hanging.

*I've got books stacked up like cordwood that I need to review. It's been pretty amazing lately because it seems that I have simply been flying through books. I guess that it's because I've been reading 300 and 400 page books versus 800 and 900 page books. I'm hoping to get Peace Like a River reviewed later this week, followed by Kidnapped, David Balfour, and Under the Greenwood Tree. We'll get them wrapped up eventually.

*I've just about got my "Summer Reading Challenge" together for this year. Last year's went really well, so I decided to do it again. I've got my books pretty much picked out, I'm just finishing up on deciding on the order. More on this closer to Memorial Day.

*I mentioned last year that I had joined goodreads.com and I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed all that it has to offer. The best thing about it is, of course, the thousands of book reviews right at my fingertips. Pretty much any book that you can think of is in their database with ratings, discussions, polls and even links showing which online bookstore has it for the cheapest price. They have also come out with lots of newer features like the ability to become a "fan" of a certain author as well as a selection of over 1,500 e-books including Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Anna Karenina, and Crime and Punishment. Add to this all the online book clubs, the ability to "shelve" books read and wanting to read, and the on-going literature trivia game and you have a wonderful, FREE resource for readers. If you are not already a member, I highly recommend it. If you are already a member or if you become one, please let me know so I can add you as a "friend" and check out what you have been reading.

*I saw this really pretty little reading contraption online today and I just had to share. It is called the "Book Buddy" and it is basically a pillow that holds your book in place while you read so that your hands a free. I think that this would be great for especially heavy books or for people who have difficulty holding anything for extended periods of time. It also has an acrylic pad that allows you to write or to use it for your laptop. Anyway, just thought that it would make a cute gift for the reader in your life (Mother's Day maybe?).

I hope that spring is going well for all of you readers. Feel free to share anything that is going on in your little corner of the literary world (What are you reading? What have you just finished? Any book suggestions for me?). As always, thank you for spending time on my blog.

No comments: