Monday, July 28, 2014

Bucket List

Hannah at Miss Daydreamer's Place recently tagged me for the Bucket List Tag.  The idea is to list 10 things you want to do before you die and then tag other friends to do the same.  Although my bucket list (like my to be read list) is EXTREMELY long, I was able to pin down 10 goals that mean the most to me right now.


Visit my ancestor's native town of Ensingen, Germany

My father's side of the family arrived in America in the 1880s.  Before that, the family lived in the small town of Ensingen in Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany.  The town is 900 years old and has long been a wine making center of the southwest.

Learn to play the dulcimer

Variations of dulcimers (meaning "sweet song") are found all over the world.  The hammered dulcimer is especially popular in many cultures.  The one I want to learn is often called the "Mountain Dulcimer" and its roots are found in Appalachia.  Though I don't really have any background in playing music, this is an instrument I'd love to try.  Listen to one here

.    Ring in the New Year in Times Square

There is perhaps nowhere more iconic to spend New Year's Eve than in Times Square.  Watching the ball drop and the confetti fall is a part of every American's celebration.  Just once, I'd love to celebrate in person with millions of other people, hearing the strains of "Auld Lang Syne" promptly followed by "New York, New York".


Have a Middle Earth marathon

This one is kind of different, but it is one that my entire family wants to do.  We want to sit down and watch all three "The Hobbit" films immediately followed by all three "Lord of the Rings" films.  Geeky?  Yes, but also worth it!

Walk the Camino de Santiago

Following an ancient pilgrimage route along Spain's northern coast, this trip has become very popular in recent years.  It takes about 4 weeks, and can be done high class or "roughing it".  This idea of combining immersion in Spanish culture with a spiritual aspect is very appealing to me.

See a play at The Globe

This is something I wanted to do when I was in London but didn't have the opportunity.  This is seeing Shakespeare as it was meant to be seen.

Visit the Bronte Parsonage Museum

I love the Bronte sisters, and the very idea of seeing the house where they grew up and where their imaginations were fed makes me giddy.  Combine this with standing on the Yorkshire moors and I think I would die from emotional overload.
Have a home library

Right now, my books are crammed in any available space.  One day, I hope to have a room dedicated to my collection.  With a window seat, of course.

Become a certified genealogist

I have been obsessed with genealogy for years and I hope to one day become a certified genealogist and do some freelance work.

Become fluent in French

I have long loved to study language and French is by far my favorite.  Though I only have a basic vocabulary now, I'd love to become fairly fluent in it.  Guess that means I'll just have to move to Paris!

At this point I'm supposed to tag some people.  I don't have that many indvidual bloggers that I interact with, so I am going to go with hopeinbrazil at Worthwhile Books.  And to anyone else who would like to participate, jump in and link to your post in the comments!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I'm going to leave comments on all of your choices so this will be long :) You picked good ones!

Ensingen looks idyllic! This is somewhat off topic but a few years ago I was watching a travel documentary on the USA and I was shocked to learn that most Americans are of German descent. I'd have thought it would be Irish or English but obviously not.

I'd never heard of the dulcimer before but it sounds lovely.

I don't know if I could handle being in a crowd with that many people all at the same time - I bet it gets pretty packed! - but I definitely want to go to New York!

Ah, I really wish I'd put the Middle-earth marathon on my list now! YES. I am so looking forward to being able to this!

I've never done any kind of an extended walk before but the Camino de Santiago would be a wonderful thing to do. You get to travel, there's history and it would be a spiritual experience.

This is the only thing on your list that I have actually done. I saw a production of The Tempest at the Globe. It was terrific. I don't know if you're familiar with The Tempest but I found the Miranda and Ferdinand characters annoying when I read the play whereas the actors in the production were hilarious and adorable :)

The Bronte Parsonage Museum! How could I forget about this one?! I really want to do this. I love all of the Bronte sisters and I have actually looked into going to their house in the past. From where I live it seems a bit tricky to get there by public transport but it's definitely something I want to do. I guess it will just mean that I'll have to visit the house as part of a trip to Yorkshire!

We're agreed on the home library I see :)

A certified genealogist sounds like a fascinating job!

I've been studying French for the past two years and it's a really beautiful language and not too difficult. The only thing I've really struggled with has been its mad number system.

hopeinbrazil said...

I loved the last few items on your list since they are on mine too (visiting the Brontë home and having a home library.) Did you send me an e-mail about this? Didn't know I was tagged till I read it here.

bookwormans said...

hopeinbrazil,

I forgot to let you know that I had tagged you...so sorry! My life has been crazy and it's all I can do to get a post up.